In a recently-published study, researchers have concluded: Essential oil components have the crucial advantage of being directly delivered to lung tissue through inhalation.
May Chang essential oil is from the seeds of the fruit from this flowering tree.
This (paraphrased) statement can be found in a study titled: “Vapor of Volatile Oils (extracted from the essential oil of) Litsea cubeba Seed Induces Apoptosis and Causes Cell Cycle Arrest in Lung Cancer Cells”. The complete study can be found here.
The prevalence of this type of lung cancer makes this study even more exciting. Non-small cell lung cancer accounts for about 87% of diagnosed lung cancers, and lung cancer in general accounts for about 13% of all cancers.
Litsea cubeba is also known as ‘May Chang‘, an essential oil steam distilled from the seeds of trees most commonly sourced as wildcrafted from China. The essential oil is frequently used for its anti-microbial properties in acne care, as well as sedative effects for sleep.
To summarize the anti-cancer research:
- May Chang (Litsea cubeba) essential oil was tested for its effect, in the lab, on non-small cell lung cancers.
- The major molecular constituents of the essential oil were isolated, and tested individually for their anti-cancer properties.
- Three of the four constituents were found to cause cancer cell apoptosis, as well as prevention of proliferation of these cells.
- The most effective single constituent isolated from May Chang essential oil was citronellol. This is a major component of Citronella, Geranium and Rose Otto essential oils.
- When combined, the isolated constituents had a significantly greater anti-cancer effect than any single one alone.
- In each test, the concentration of essential oil constituent necessary to cause cancer cell death did not adversely affect healthy cells.
We have yet to see a study published which DID NOT confirm the anti-cancer effect of an essential oil.
Frankincense is by far the most thoroughly-researched, tested against a great many different human cancer cell lines. Recent research shows Frankincense essential oil effective against several lines of breast cancer cells.