Your respiratory system is constantly working. All day, every day, it is the vehicle for oxygen to enter your body. Unfortunately, it can also be an entry point for pollutants, irritants, dust, mold, fungus, harmful organisms, and other toxins. Unless you’re living in a bubble, the constant assault from impurities can take its toll. Fortunately, whether you’re experiencing the negative effects of inhaling toxins, or simply want to ensure your lungs are always at peak performance, nature has provided a number of herbs and botanicals that provide deep nutrition for the respiratory system.
How are Herbs Beneficial for the Respiratory System?
Herbs that support lung health typically do so by offering one or more of the following benefits:
- They may be an expectorant — which helps break up and expel chest congestion.
- Soothe irritated nasal passages and airways.
- Relax the muscles near the upper respiratory system to quell a cough.
- Calm the release of histamines.
- Fight the harmful organisms that can produce upper respiratory problems.
- They may be a source of antioxidants and reduce oxidative damage and redness.
Let’s take a look at the nine best herbs for respiratory health!